Friday, March 8, 2013

Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts


I had never tried brussels sprouts until this year and I REALLY liked them! Each time that I've had them now they have been oven roasted so I decided to make my own and see how they turned out. You can try lots of different substitutions but I'll give you the recipe I did last night with pictures and also suggest some other ideas to switch it up.

Ingredients
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Olive oil (the more generous you pour it the tastier--but also more calories... find your own happy medium)
  • Seasoning: Salt, pepper, garlic powder (optional)
  • Sierra Nevada Honey Spice Mustard (sooo good, if you don't have this look at some of the other substitutions listed blow)
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Wash, trim and cut brussels sprouts in half
  • Put sprouts and loose leaves in pan or on baking sheet and top with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Drip a couple tablespoons of honey mustard over sprouts, trying to get a little on all the halves.
  • Use spatula to mix everything so sprouts are coated evenly
  • Place in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes tossing once about half way through. If doing a larger batch may need to cook for longer (20-30 min). I typically just make enough for myself.
  • Enjoy. The loose leaves will get pretty crispy but they are tasty.

Other Ideas

If you don't like, or have, honey mustard you can also try some of the following to add some flavor:
  • Drizzle some balsamic vinegar (syrupy) when finished cooking and toss again
  • Add rosemary when seasoning and then toss with parmesan cheese before serving
  • Use fresh minced garlic cloves in the recipe
  • Add sriracha and toss before cooking--careful it has a little kick
  • Sriracha, honey, and lime.
  • Let me know if you know any other good recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment