Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Homemade Veggie Packed Sloppy Joes

So growing up Sloppy Joes were pretty much a staple in our house and I was telling my boyfriend last night after making dinner that I didn't even know there was canned sloppy joe mix until I was 18 or older. My mom always made the sauce herself, not from scratch but just mixting BBQ sauce and ketchup. I think doing it yourself, especially with your favorite BBQ sauce makes it way better! 

So here is my super easy Sloppy Joe recipe and I like to fill it with lots of veggies


Ingredients 

  • 1 lb ground beef (I used 90/10)
  • 1/2 orange bell pepper
  • 1/2 green bell pepper (use whichever you like best)
  • 1/2 onion (red or white)
  • Ketchup (about 1/2 cup)
  • BBQ Sauce (about 1/2 cup)
  • Seasoning: salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne 

Directions

  • Chop veggies to the size of your liking. If you have little ones and are trying to disguise the veggies use a food processor 
  • Put meat and chopped veggies in pan on medium. You don't need to add oil because of the fat in the meat. 
  • Break apart ground beef, add a few pinches of each seasoning, and and stir often until meat is browned. About 15 minutes 
  • If you are using a lean meat you may not need to drain it and can keep the little bit of fat for flavor, if it is a higher fat percentage drain it and return to stove
  • Add ketchup and BBQ sauce, cover, and simmer on low for 10 minutes 
  • Add to bun or bread of choice and enjoy (with lots of napkins)


Super easy since it cooks all together


So tasty and so sloppy 
 


So ketchup is ketchup as I see it but I LOVE Kinder's BBQ Sauce. This one isn't very hot but has such a good flavor, if you see if in stores near you give it a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment