Friday, October 18, 2013

Easy Clean-Out-the-Cabinets "Pad Thai"

I was inspired yesterday by some Pad Thai recipes I saw on Pinterest so I decided to make my own. The one I saw that got me thinking was from My Fridge Food. I realized I didn't have majority of the ingredients that are called for in a lot of the typical pad thai recipes I saw. I decided to experiment and make my own based on the easy ramen version. Does this taste exactly like real or restaurant pad thai? No. Have I even had pad thai in 3 years? No. Does it taste amazing? YES! It was soooo good. 

The reason I'm calling it clean out the cabinets "pad thai" is because you can basically put anything in it and add some peanut butter and soy sauce and it will taste great. I had lo mien noodles I had bought a long time ago and never used so that was part of the inspiration as well. You can even do this with ramen noodles and it'd taste really good. Also I had received my Farm Fresh to You box and needed to figure out something to do with all the carrots and kale I got. I figured I'd throw it all in there and see how it went. Results = mmmm :)


Ingredients

  • 1 package lo mein noodles (You can use pad thai noodles, other asian noodles, or even ramen)
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken 
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce 
  • 4 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp sriracha (add more or less to taste, it's very spicy)
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • Vegetables of you choice! Typically there are chilies, green onion, bean sprouts. However I cleaned out the fridge and used: kale, carrots, and the little bit of broccoli I had left in the freezer. 
  • Optional: I also had about a Tbsp of Asian Sesame dressing left in the fridge so I used that so I could toss the bottle. I like the sesame flavor but you definitely don't need it since it was so little I'm not sure how big of a difference it made.

Directions

  • Cook chicken. I buy frozen chicken so for two pieces I cook at 325 degrees for 50 minutes flipping pieces half way through. Depending on thickness may need to go longer. If you need directions for non-frozen chicken follow directions here and then add in the vegetables and continue to cook/sauté as with the fajitas. If cooking whole frozen chicken shred into bite size pieces once it's done.
  • Cook noodles as directed. For lo mien noodles: cook for 4-5 minutes in boiling water, drain, and leave to side. 
  • In large pan add vegetable oil, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, shredded/shaved carrots, chopped kale, and garlic (or any other veggies)
  • Saute over medium heat, adding a few tablespoons of water as needed to help wilt the kale, stirring frequently. I did mine for about 10 minutes but it depends on the vegetables and your preference for how soft/crunchy you want them. 
  • Once chicken, vegetables, and noodles are done turn off pan and add all ingredients into your large pan. 
  • Add peanut butter, the rest of the soy sauce, sriracha, a little black pepper (doesn't need salt because of the soy sauce)
  • Toss all ingredients until everything it coated, if it looks a little thick you can add a couple Tbsp of water to help thin it out. 
  • Add more sriracha, soy sauce, or peanut butter to taste. My boyfriend probably added another Tbsp of soy sauce to his serving alone haha but mine was fine as is. 




No comments:

Post a Comment