Tuesday, October 2, 2012

No Pasta Veggie and Ground Turkey Lasagna


Last week I tried making some recipe I saw online for a squash and zucchini bake that looked so good. So I made it and it looked amazing but then tasted... meuh. I still had left over zucchini and squash so I decided to make something similar but in a way that I knew I would like. I've been trying to cut white carbs (pasta, white breads, etc.) out of my diet so this is my take on a no pasta lasagna.
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound ground turkey
  • 1 zucchini sliced
  • 1 summer squash sliced
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 red onion sliced/diced
  • about 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • about 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I would probably add some ricotta to make it more like lasagna but I forgot to get it at the store)
  • 1/3 Jar Marinara Sauce of choice (I use mushroom and onion)
  • 2 Tablespoons bread crumbs (not necessary but I like a little extra crunch on top)
  • Seasoning (garlic powder, salt, pepper, basil)
Directions
  • Heat oven to 350 degrees
  • Put a little bit (1 Tbsp) olive oil in a pan and heat to medium
  • Add  ground turkey. Cook for about about three minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Break up the meat with a spatula or a wooden spoon while cooking.

  • Add sliced veggies a seasonings. Continue to stir and cook for another 5 min until meat is cooked through (165 degrees) and veggies are a little soft. They will cook more in the oven so don't worry if they are not totally cooked yet.

  • Spoon a little marinara sauce on bottom of pan
  • Spread half of the turkey and veggie mixture in the pan Cover top of mix with marinara cause. Sprinkle half of your cheeses on top and then repeat with the rest of the veggie/turkey mix, sauce and cheeses.
  • Sprinkle your bread crumbs on top

  • Bake for 35 minutes
  • Enjoy!

** My not very professional cooking tip is that when cooking a lot of veggies the casserole/bake can get a little watery. I pulled my dish out with 5 minutes remaining and just poured a little bit of the water into the sink and then put it back in the oven to finish baking. Be careful if you choose to do this because things may slide a bit.... It's not very classy but hey it made it taste better than if it had been really watery

No comments:

Post a Comment